Select Page

April 2014

Bray Garda Station is one of  the 26 Divisional Headquarters which had been recording telephone calls over the past 30 years.

The Wicklow Voice has learned that the force’s centre of operations in Wicklow was definitely amongst those recording and monitoring phone converstions.

Bray was not included in a Garda Siochana upgrade to a digital system in 2008, the station was using an older generation system to record and store conversations.

The country has been engulfed by the scandal over the practice of taping telephone conversations in Garda stations throughout the State and has led to the resignation of Garda Commissioner Martin Callihan.

The revelation has raised questions about possible legal implications regarding certain crimes and  prosecutions processed at Wicklow’s largest and main urban Garda station.

It is unknown if other high profile cases in the county will be affected. Chief among the cases that may become subject to scrutiny is the conviction of businesswoman Catherine Nevin who is serving a life sentence for ordering the murder of her husband Tom at Jack White’s in 1996.

Nevin was initially arrested in 1997 prior to her conviction in 2000 after an investigation by a team of Wicklow-based detectives. And her legal representatives have confirmed they will ‘definitely’ be examining her case files to see if any inappropriate or otherwise prejudicial recordings of talks between her and her lawyers took place while she was in custody.

Former chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank Seán Fitzpatrick, currently on trial for numerous charges relating to the Anglo Maple Ten sharebuying case, was held at Bray Garda station on multiple occasions after his initial arrest in 2010.

Over 2,400 separate tapes exist from before 2008 when the Gardaí went to public tender with regard to installing new, state of the art recording facilities in selected stations across the country.

The Attorney General, MáireWhelan, has taken emergency action to ensure that these tapes are preserved after it emerged that plans were in place to destroy them.

News of the bugging first came to light after Taoiseach Enda Kenny briefed the Dáil after being informed of a “serious issue you need to be made aware of” by the Attorney General. The system of recording was officially ended in November 2013 by Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan upon being informed of the practice.

Callinan resigned amid suggestions that he was informed by the Department of Justice that his position would be untenable on foot of the recordings revelations.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This